“Dale Anthony Girard, the fight director, makes every clashing blade count.”
(Wall Street Journal)
Dale Anthony Girard (SDC) has staged thousands of different acts of violence and action (comic, tragic and everything in between) across North America including 6 seasons with Colorado Shakespeare Festival (Macbeth, Anthony & Cleopatra, Two Gentlemen of Verona, Hamlet, As You Like It, Coriolanus, Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead, Romeo & Juliet, Much Ado About Nothing, The Would-Be Gentleman, King Lear, Othello, The Miser, Troilus & Cressida, Richard II, Taming of the Shrew), 9 seasons with Central City Opera (Vagabond King, Manon, Carmen, Rose-Marie, Faust, Roméo et Juliette, Macbeth, New Moon Naughty Marietta), as well as an in excess of 25 seasons with the Chautauqua Opera (Tosca, Carmen, Merry Wives of Windsor, Faust, Roméo et Juliette, Don Giovanni, Ghosts of Versailles, Don Pasquale, Gianni Schicchi, La Bohème, Madame Butterfly, The Magic Flute, I Pagliacci, Lucia Di Lammermoor, L'Elisir D'Amore, etc.) where he continues to serve as their resident Fight Director.
Other favorites include Macbeth (Teller and Aaron Posner) and Cyrano (nominated for the prestigious Helen Hayes Award) at the Folger Theatre –, Roméo et Juliette for the Metropolitan Opera, Slavs (Tony Kushner, premiere) for the Yale Repertory Theatre/Center Stage Baltimore, Macbeth for the New York City Opera, West Side Story (40th Anniversary, directed by Gerald Freedman) at the Ravinia Festival, Romeo and Juliet (Jean-Pierre Bonnefeaux) for the Chautauqua Ballet, Long Day’s Journey into Night for the Harford Stage, Roméo et Juliette for the Vancouver Opera, The Three Musketeers for the Pioneer Theatre, and Carmen with the Anchorage Opera (featuring the amazing Janine Hawley in the title role).
With over 35 years’ experience in professional theatre, opera, and ballet, Dale has staged more than 275 AEA and AGMA productions across the US and Canada, as well as having over 500 additional professional, semi-professional and university fight directing credits. A recognized leader in his craft, Dale earned the Honorary Fight Master status with Fight Directors Canada (FDC), honorary membership in the Russian Guild of Stage Movement Directors and is currently only one of 20 Fight Masters with the Society of American Fight Directors (SAFD), the largest organization of stage combatants in the world.
• Over 35 years staging fights for professional theatre, opera, Shakespeare festivals and ballet companies.
• LORT credits include Actors Theatre of Louisville, American Repertory Theatre, Arden Theatre Company, Asolo Repertory Theatre, Centerstage, Denver Center Theatre Company, Goodspeed Opera House, Hartford Stage, Long Wharf Theatre, Signature Theatre, Studio Arena Theatre and Yale Repertory Theatre.
• Opera credits include Metropolitan Opera, New York City Opera, Vancouver Opera, Florida Grand Opera, Portland Opera, San Diego Opera, Opera Colorado, Central City Opera, Chautauqua Opera, Opera Carolina, Tulsa Opera, and The Toledo Opera.
• Shakespeare Theatre and Festival credits include the Colorado Shakespeare Festival (6 seasons), Dram Tree Shakespeare, Folger Theatre, Arden Theatre, Pennsylvania Shakespeare Festival Elm Shakespeare Company, and North Carolina Shakespeare Festival.
• Over 300 university and college theatre and opera production credits.